Pages

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Meet Tuza



Sawubona, this is my friend Tuza. I met Tuza eight years ago when I lived in South Africa for 6 months during my DTS (Discipleship Training School) with YWAM (Youth With A Mission). Tuza and I became great friends during my time on outreach living in the Khayelitsha Township outside of Cape Town. He is truly my African brother, he taught me how to live like an African; everything from teaching me to speak Zulu and Xhosa, learning tribal dances, to eating the gastrointestinal tract of a goat. He even gave me my African name... "Sibusiso" "Inkukhu ehlala phansi kwamanzi" all right so the second part I made up and Tuza translated it, if you ask me I'll tell you what it means.
So why am I writing this? Well this morning I spoke with Tuza on the phone; he called me just before I left for work. I was so happy to hear from him, as I always am. I love listening to his accent, it reminds me of living in Africa and the people there. I miss Tuza, he is someone who I have never forgotten and many times I dream of the day when him and I can once again hang out under the African sky.
Currently Tuza is involved in starting up a ministry in the Nyanga Township also outside of Cape Town near Khayelitsha. The minstry is involved in different ways to help the people of Nyanga, from providing aid to those with HIV/Aids, to setting up programs to get the youth involved in with the effort to diminish the increasing violence and crime within the township. Our conversation was only brief but I am encouraged and look forward to hearing more from Tuza about the work that he is doing to help others in South Africa.
Tuza is one of the many African friends I made who all have a big part in shaping who I am and how I choose to live my life to this day. Also, just simply, my experience of living in South Africa within the impoverished townships surrounded by people who have far less than I do, is a constant reminder to not become selfish here in Canada with the overabundance that we have. I suppose this was an experience that God has used to put a passion in my heart, and this is why I choose to change things in my own life. I try to do what I can to stand up for my African brothers and sisters, even to deny myself Christmas presents and instead support MCC as they provide aid for those in need. I am far from perfect, and it is very hard to live an unselfish life, but I am truly thankful for the country that I live in and the countless opportunities that we have. God has blessed me with a great job, a great family, and great friends. As I strive to live up to my “African name”, I hope and pray that my life may be a blessing to all of those around.

Hamba kahle!
-[ Go well ]-

Nkosi, sikelel' iAfrika
-[Lord, bless Africa]-

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the hair do!

Anonymous said...

"Sibusiso"
OK....so what does your name mean?
KM

brando said...

so when are you coming to visit us?

Joseph said...

Brother,
I cannot begin to find the words to tell you how much I would love to.
Being raised on a farm I have heard it said that, "You can take the boy off the Farm, But you can't take the Farm out of the boy."
You can take me out of Africa, but you will never take Africa out of my heart.
I miss you bro,
-Joseph