Pages

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Upgrade your Gray Matter

Alright, so enough about my knee. Sure, I must admit I have been bummed out because of it, although not because of pain. Pain is relative and when it comes to physical pain, I have a high threshold. I have just been unsettled about feeling so incapacitated; I don't like limping. Alright, so enough about my knee...

This may come as a shock to some of you... I have been reading a book! I know that I may come across as a very studious type, but in reality I am almost at the opposite end of the spectrum from friends of mine such as Jason, who study GREAT BOOKS at University. I say "almost' because I do read a little and by that I should admit that I have been reading "The Boat Who Wouldn't Float" by Farley Mowat for about a year and a half now. I am roughly three quarters through a 197-page novel, and the last chapter I read was probably 3 months ago. You can stop laughing now!
That is not the book I am talking about, actually I have been reading a book that at one point in time I was given a copy and told to read it, however I didn't want to because I thought that there was just way too much "hype" about this book. I thought it was just a Christian marketing and money-making ploy. To say the least I was very cynical. (Side note: that is one of the many things that God is working on in my life)
"The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren, complete with a green ribbon heading on the front cover that reads "The #1 New York Times Bestseller", that kind of a statement may turn you onto or away from a book like this. In my case it was the later, until now.
I am over half way through this book and cannot put it down. For those of you who have read it already I know it says to read it for 40 days, one day at a time. But to be honest, some days there is so much to absorb that I have to read that chapter again. As I make my way through the book and write down my thoughts in my journal, I can't help but to think about reading this book again in a year from now together with my journal, when circumstances in my life are different. I am excited to read the biblical truths in a book like this from a new perspective on my life and to look back to what I wrote in my journal and see what God had taught me at this time. So, to sum it all up, I am really enjoying this book. I have learned new truths and reaffirmed many that I already knew, God is at work in my life, but only because I have allowed Him to be.
If anyone is interested, I recommend this book.
Wow, I sound like LeVar Burton from “Reading Rainbow
“But you don’t have to take my word for it!”

No comments: