Pages

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Broken

Well here I go again another one of my many visits to the Hospital. Sometimes it seems like I should just live there. You name it; I’ve broken it. Nose, Thumb, Rib, Foot, Knee, Heart, Skull… the list goes on!
Good to know though that not all injuries in my life are a result of extreme sports, because I was beginning to think I should give them up. Heck, when you truly feel pain in life, fracturing your skull and wearing a neck brace seems like a walk in the park. But you got to get up and try again. I know that I can make it through anything that comes my way in life and learn something from it; I now wear a helmet when I snowboard. I can break my head but I will never stop snowboarding. I can bust my knee but I will never stop jumping. I can break my heart but I will never stop loving.
So once again under the knife, this Thursday I go for surgery, Arthroscopic Medial Menisectomy to be exact. This is the first of two operations that I will have to undergo. The second will be a re-construction of my ACL. What does that mean? Well for those of you who didn't know, I tore my ACL in my left knee (it is the ligament that basically holds your knee together) while snowboarding last March. I hit a jump, landed badly, and it felt like my knee exploded! After making my way to the side of the hill, un-strapping, and trying to walk it off, It still didn't seem right so I rode down to the ski clinic and iced my swollen knee for a few hours. However, the day was still young and the conditions were great, so of course I went back out riding. It hurt to walk. It didn't hurt to ride. So I rode. Now those of you who snowboard, you may understand this, those who don't may not, but there was this Huge Table-Top at the bottom of the Terrain Park. All I can say to describe it was that it was LARGE and PERFECT, a jump that you can only dream of. Did I mention that the snow conditions were great? So naturally, me with my full-blown ACL, how could I resist? I can just go for the big air; nothing fancy, just don't fall. Wow, it was amazing! I think I spent almost the rest of that day hitting that jump only. That was my last day boarding last year and what a way to finish off the season.
Then the car ride home, my knee swelled up and by the time I got home it was so stiff and sore. I could hardly walk. I went to the Hospital, and by that I mean my best friend literally carried me into the emergency. I had some x-rays taken that I can now add to my already abundant portfolio, just to prove that my bones were not broken. I think a broken bone would have been better than a torn tendon because at least bones can heal themselves.
Isn't it amazing how resilient the human body actually is?
So this Thursday is my surgery, I can’t help but to think that the general anesthetic will be a welcome temporary break from all sense of emotion, but after I get to look forward (*sarcasm*) to lying in bed with my prescription of Tylenol 3’s (which I probably won’t take anyways because I never do. I prefer to tough it out rather than rely on meds).
Well all I can say now is that I pray for a speedy recovery and SNOW!

No comments: