Pages

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Can't I just buy a new Knee on eBay?

So it is official... My ACL is torn completely from my femur.
And I think he removed part of my meniscus. (I was not in a fully conscious state when Dr. Robert came by after to talk to me.)
*sigh... Do you ever wish you could go back in time to prevent an accident from happening? I do, but unfortunately I am not friends with Dr Emmett Brown, or Michael J. Fox for that matter. So I guess I have to just accept that accidents happen and not dwell on wishing they didn't, then I can learn and make changes because of them. Okay, so except the wrecked knee and keep on living. Go snowboarding but be cautious to prevent it from happening again. Yeah... Go Snowboarding! I can't wait!
Unfortunately I have to make my way around on crutches again, hopefully only for a few days if that, but then it is back to the life of limping. I will do my best to recover quickly and I will know better what is happening next when I see my Surgeon in a week. I have a dressing on my knee and I am tempted to take it off, I want to see the incision in my knee. The nurse told me not to but I am curious, we will see if I can wait the week or if my curiosity gets the best of me. Although the last thing I want is an infection in my knee because that already happened to my other knee and put me into the Hospital for 6 months. 6 Months means the winter will be over without snowboarding. I can't let that happen.
So all together my surgery went well, except for the bad news on the condition of my knee, although I already assumed it was so. There was also the difficult time the nurse had trying to get my vein for the intravenous. She kept poking around and I kept laughing, I told her that my other side works better (I just know this from so many times getting IV). So sure enough she tries the other side and... Voila!
Also the general anesthetic worked great, I can't believe how instantly they can knock you out. It’s Crazy! And just as instantly as you go out, you wake up. Unfortunately waking up means that reality sets in and ... I'll just leave it at that.
So I am not perfect, and I am broken... but I am blessed to have friends and family that accept me just the way I am.

2 comments:

Gary Wiens said...

Joesph, I must say reading your blog has been somewhat inspiring. I am amazed at your positive outlook on everything and how you are truly relying on the Lord to give you joy inspite of the number of bumps that have come along your way in the last little while. I'll be praying for your knee as a man who has been there before, and if you go out riding give me a shout man.

Gary

Anonymous said...

Man i told you not to hit that jump without speed. But noooooo i'll i could do was look at you from the lift and say to Joel... "did you hear that? that was his knee."

you better hit the gym and get in shape brutha cuz this winter aint over yet.