Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Not perfect, but loved... the gospel of grace



Henri Nouwen writes:

In my mind's eye, I see Rembrandt's painting The Return of the Prodigal Son. The dim-eyed old father holds his returned son close to his chest with an unconditional love. Both of his hands, one strong and masculine, the other gentle and feminine, rest on his son's shoulders. He does not look at his son but feels his young, tired body and lets him rest in his embrace. his immense red cape is like the wings of a motherbird covering her fragile nestling. He seems to think only one thing: His is back home, and I am glad to have him with me again.
So why delay? God is standing there with open arms, waiting to embrace me. He won't ask any questions about my past. Just having me back is all he desires.


"The Ragamuffin Gospel"
page 190

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this, Joe. Very encouraging truth. I remember enjoying the liveliness that I saw in you back in the old days! Blessings.

rob said...

joseph! this is my first visit to your blog. :) the ragamuffin gospel is probably in my top three favourite books.... it's so good eh? grace is such a strange and wonderful thing.